Wednesday 15 January 2014

Post 7--Knowing of My Heart: A Prayer-Poem



Post 7--  Knowing of my Heart—A Prayer-Poem  

By Trevor Hooper Kilian  

Today, a prayer-poem by a friend of mine. Please enjoy and mull over it.  A few comments after the reading.

Awaken the senses of my heart,
so that my heart will speak louder than my head.

Awaken my heart to Your Eyes,
so I will see You more clearly, in all that I do.

Awaken my heart to Your Voice,
so that I listen, understand and be still.

Awaken my heart to Your Word,
so I may speak with great clarity, confidence and compassion.

Awaken my heart to Your Touch,
so that I feel Your Presence around me and know I am never alone.

Awaken my heart every day,
Knowing I rise with Your Grace to serve and love others.
Help me surrender my heart to You always,
Trusting that Your Will, not mine, is The Way.

Trevor Kilian is my chiropractor in downtown Vancouver.  He has this prayer-poem on the wall in his waiting room. I so appreciate the prayer-poem for its content not only, but also that he has it on public display. So, we’re back to prayer. Vancouver is a deeply secular city, where it is not politically correct to bring religion or spirituality into your business.Trevor is taking some risk in hanging this on his office wall. You cannot predict how some secular resident will react to it.

The central theme in this poem is the centrality of the heart in our lives, a thesis that also will underlie these blogs.  Marxists place economics in the centre of things; humanists and other secularists give that place to reason; but in Christianity it is the heart that directs the affairs of all of us.  The meaning of this thesis will become clear as we proceed. You will see that it is a powerful thesis that has been defended in Canadian courts and, at times, accepted, at least as to its implications. 

So, read this poem over a few times and mull it over.  “Awaken my heart, knowing I rise…to serve and love others.”  Serving and loving--again, a theme of this blogspot with its title of “My World—My Neighbour.”  It would make a great new year’s resolution, don’t you think? 

No comments:

Post a Comment