Sunday 13 December 2015

Post 79—Prayer for Canadian Governments

                            

In my recent posts about refugees I guess I have given kind of a negative or doubtful impression of our new Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.  To be honest, I actually do entertain such a picture of him. That’s not only because of the doubtful refugee programme, but also simply because he is Liberal. A major thing I have against Liberals is that they show little respect for traditional social structures and feel free to replace them or experiment with these replacements in a careless way, that is, without having any idea what the new one will look like or what its long-term effect may be. This holds especially true for family and sexual affairs.  Trudeau Sr. simply introduced multi-culturalism without any idea about its limits or whether it is even possible for a society to exist in a completely multi-cultural way. I just find them irresponsible in so many ways. Too wild. 

At the same time, I am aware that the Chretien Liberal government did a great job managing the country’s economy, something that helped the succeeding Harper Conservative government weather the 2008 economic storm better than almost all Western countries. 

In addition, coming back to our current situation, when I see pictures of reunited refugee families with great joy on their faces and other new arrivals displaying such a great sense of relief at finally being in a safe place, even if extremely cold, then I begin to feel bad about the doubts of the refugee programme I have expressed. How can anyone with a heart object to such a policy?  And when I see Prime Minister Trudeau, in informal attire with his sleeves folded up, at the airport personally embracing the new comers, then I am moved to deep compassion and appreciate his passionate display of sympathy and welcome.  There was nothing to remind me of the haughtiness and pride that characterized his father.

Nevertheless, though I feel bad about the doubts I am expressing, I am not now reversing my opinions on this score. As I have written earlier, compassion, like love, must not be blind. 

This is Sunday, the day Christians in most countries go to prayer—where they are free to do so. So, I end this short post with a prayer for our new Prime Minister and his Government as well as all other tiers of governments in the country.  

However, before presenting the prayer, I encourage you to check out the National House of Prayer in Ottawa. This is all about praying for government. Go to < www.nhop.ca >. I insert this plug at this point rather than at the end of this post, for I want to close with the prayer.                                                      

Excerpts from Psalm 72

(From the Old Testament)

God, help the king be like you and make fair decisions.
    Help the king’s son know what justice is.
Help the king judge your people fairly.
    Help him make wise decisions for your poor people.
Let there be peace and justice throughout the land,
    known on every mountain and hill.
May the king be fair to the poor.
    May he help the helpless and punish those who hurt them.
May people always fear and respect you, God,
    as long as the sun shines and the moon is in the sky.
Help the king be like rain falling on the fields,
    like showers falling on the land.
Let goodness grow everywhere while he is king.
    Let peace continue as long as there is a moon.
Let his kingdom grow from sea to sea,
12 Our king helps the poor who cry out to him—
    those in need who have no one to help them.
13 He feels sorry for all who are weak and poor.
    He protects their lives.
14 He saves them from the cruel people who try to hurt them.
    Their lives are important to him.
15 Long live the king!
Always pray for the king.
    Ask God to bless him every day.
16 May the fields grow plenty of grain
    and the hills be covered with crops.
May the fields be as fertile as Lebanon

17 May the king be famous forever.
    May people remember his name as long as the sun shines.
May all nations be blessed through him,
    and may they all bless him.
18 Praise the Lord God, the God of Israel!
    Only he can do such amazing things.
19 Praise his glorious name forever!
    Let his glory fill the whole world.
Amen and Amen!  

           



No comments:

Post a Comment