Tuesday 26 April 2016

Post 108--"Slowing Up," A Poem by Joe Veltman


The following is a poem written by Joe Veltman, a retired Christian Reformed pastor living in Madison Wisc.  If you’re a senior like him,  you will totally understand this piece. From the tone of the poem, I judge he’s a few years ahead of me, though I, too, have achieved senior status at 78.  If you haven’t yet reached Joe’s stage, well, I pray you will so that you’re looking at your own, perhaps distant but sure, tomorrow. You may thank Joe for helping you understand what’s awaiting you. Note that Joe does not portray a despondent spirit. He just rests in God in a peaceful, relaxed way.  
As the years quicken, I find
I am rushing from slow to slower…
slow of foot, slow of mind,
slow of hand, slow of art.
I’m no longer up to speed.
The fable of the tortoise and the hare
doesn’t really compensate
for the fact that the opposite
of quick
is dead.

Still,
there is restfulness in the notion
of slow food and slow motion,
or not being on the go at all.

Maybe God invented turtles
to remind us
that He is often slow…
slow to anger,
and, to my surprise
…and dismay…
slow to speak.
He needs, I surmise
to keep that pace
to stay with His flock.

But for all that,
God, the first responder,
made the rabbit too.
Quick to listen
and swift to keep His promises,
He holds fast to His word.

Lord, be my pacemaker
that I, neither
hasty, nor slow of heart,
may be quick
to follow.


Enjoy and ponder.

No comments:

Post a Comment