Tuesday 7 March 2017

Post 154— A life of madness, pain and words


It was back in 1954. I was 16 years of age and working in the sawmills of Port Alberni on Vancouver Island. Not too many young teens volunteer to work in sawmills these days, but 1954 was a different age. I was part of a large immigrant family of 10 children. So, pretty poor pickins at home as you can imagine, especially since in those days immigrants were on their own; no pampering from any nanny state or  government at any level at the time. My Dad and I had agreed that as soon as I turned 16, he would try to get a job for me at one of the local sawmills, where just about everybody in the town worked, including my Dad. Good pay, by the way. The town had the highest per capita income in all of Canada in those days, thanks to the International Woodworkers of America (IWA) and even more so to MacMillan & Bloedel.The idea for this arrangement was that I and two older sisters,  would help bring home the money to pay off the mortgage for a fairly large house that cost all of $5500. 

However, I loved school and had my eyes on UBC to study accounting. In order to achieve that goal, I enrolled in the High School Correspondence School of the British Columbia Government in Victoria. So, while holding a full time mill job, I took my high school in my spare time. I did grades 10-12 in four and a half years, after which I went off to college. I never made it to UBC or into accounting, but that’s another story. However, the arrangement turned successful; I now hold a doctorate from a European university and have authored many books. Go check that out on my website < www.SocialTheology.com >

I had a friend by the name of Ben Wisselink, also a young immigrant who came from The Netherlands all on his own. Of course, he also worked on the mills, but, like me, had academic ambitions and before long enrolled at UBC to study forestry. For Christmas 1956, he gave me a book with the title Roget’s Thesaurus. Not many people in a mill town like Port Alberni would be interested in such a book, but for me it became a real treasure that I have used regularly throughout the years until early 2017, when I dumped it and bought an updated thesaurus by Webster. Oh, yes, from a thrift store for $1.50. 

But you have no idea how difficult it was for me to dump that old one. It was worn and held together with black electrical tape, but to me it had been a precious friend for over 60 years!  I always consulted it whenever I was writing speeches, lectures, articles or books. It felt like a betrayal to both the book and my friend Ben.  Today, March 7, 2017, I still kind of mourn its loss, even though the newer Webster version seems like it will serve me well. I also had occasion to mourn the loss of Ben due to death during his UBC years. By that time I had enrolled at Calvin College at Grand Rapids MI. With the dumping of his gift, I cut the final tie to him apart from only my memory and a few photographs.

While I used that Thesaurus faithfully, I often wondered what kind of person would create such a wonderful list of words.  Who was this Roget? Where and when did he live?  What did it take to spend so much time on word lists?  I have deeply appreciated his effort and used it much, but I could not imagine spending so much time, effort and money on word lists!  Curious though I have been, it was not enough for me to turn to the internet and find out; I had other things to do.  But then I came across its story in a newspaper article I had filed away almost a decade ago and forgot about. Probably, I had read it before and filed it with the expectation I would use it some day. Well, that day has arrived. Today is that day and here is that article:

                   
A life of madness, pain and words
Roget: New book looks at the man who created the first thesaurus
By Arthur Spiegelman
The Province, March 30, 2008

His mother suffered dark depressions and tried to dominate his life. His sister and daughter had severe mental problems, his father and wife died young and a beloved uncle committed suicide in his arms.
So what did Peter Mark Roget, the creator of Roget’s Thesaurus, do to handle all the pain, grief, sorrow, affliction, woe, bitterness, unhappiness and misery in a life that lasted more than 90 years?
He made lists.
The 19th century British scientist made lists of words, creating synonyms for all occasions that ultimately helped make life easier for term paper writers, crossword puzzle lovers and anyone looking for the answer to the age-old question: “What’s another word for …”
And according to a new biography, making his lists saved Roget’s life and by keeping him from succumbing to the depression and misery of those around him.
“As a boy he stumbled upon a remarkable discovery – that compiling lists of words could provide solace, no matter what misfortunes may befall him,” says Joshua Kendall, author of the just-published The Man Who Made Lists, a study of Roget’s life (1779-1869) based on diaries, letters and even an autobiography composed of lists.
Kendall, in a recent interview, said Roget cared more for words than people and that making lists on the scale that he did was obsessive-compulsive behavior that helped him fend off the demons that terrorized his distinguished British family.
Madness was a regular guest in Roget’s home, Kendall said. One of his grandmothers either had schizophrenia or severe depression, and Roget’s mother lapsed into paranoia, often accusing the servants of plotting against her. Both his sister and his daughter suffered depression and mental problems.
Then there was the case of Roget’s uncle, British member of Parliament Sir Samuel Romilly, known for his opposition to the slave trade and for his support of civil liberties. He slit his own throat while Roget tried to get the razor out of his hands.
Unlike a thesaurus, no one understood Uncle Sam’s last words: “My dear … I wish …”
Indeed, to quote most of the Thesaurus listing for pain, Roget’s was a life filled with grief, pain, suffering, distress, affliction, woe, bitterness, heartache, unhappiness, infelicity and misery.
Kendall said, “The lists gave him an alternative world to which to repair.” Many writers have declared their debt to Roget, including Peter Pan’s creator, J.M. Barrie. In homage, he put a copy of the Thesaurus in Captain Hook’s cabin so he could declare: “The man is not wholly evil – he has a Thesaurus in his cabin.”
The 20th century poet Sylvia Plath called herself “Roget’s Strumpet” to pay respects for all the word choices he gave her.
But the British journalist Simon Winchester holds Roget responsible for helping to dumb down Western culture because his work allows a writer to look it up rather than think it out.
Roget made his first attempt at a thesaurus at age 26 but put aside the effort and did not publish his book until 1852, when he was in his 70s and retired. He then kept busy with it for the rest of his life.
It became an instant hit in Britain but did not sell that well when an American edition was published two years later. But when Americans went crazy for crossword puzzles in the 1920s, the Thesaurus assumed its place on reference shelves.
Kendall’s book is written in a style that he calls “narrative non-fiction,” which contains a lot of dialogue and descriptions of how Roget and his friends feel and think, all, he says, based on source material.
“I did a lot of work to stitch together a narrative,” he said, adding that all the scenes in the book are based on actual events.

Here’s a website with a similar story, including info about Thesaurus Day of January 18 in the UK:

No comments:

Post a Comment