Saturday 11 August 2018

Post 231--Bolan's Gangsters (1)



Gangsters are still on my mind from the last post. No surprise, for they are often on my mind, especially when I read the newspapers. My favourite daily, The Vancouver Sun, has a columnist who covers the gangster front—Kim Bolan. Though I do not always agree with her and at one time in an email she called me something close to “idiot”—or so I felt about it, but I appreciate her writings and fail to read her column only if I have a bad day and don’t read the paper at all.

In this crazy world of litigation at the slightest instigation at all, I want to make sure no one accuses me of claiming Bolan own or controls gangs. These gangs are not Bolan's. Titles are meant to draw people's attention and I hope this one does.

Kim is not the only author to write on gangs and not all her articles are in the Vancouver Sun.  So, some of the articles linked here are by reporters instead of Kim the columnist, like Nick Eagland and Matt Robinson; some are in other papers like The Province. All that sort of information is clearly marked below.

But before I go further, I am reminded of the introductory paragraph at the heading of this blog.  There I explain that the title of this blog, “My World—My Neighbour,” is a summary of Jesus’ teaching that everyone in this world is my neighbour, whom I have to love, care for and about. How can I square this with the rather rough attitude I am displaying towards gangsters and their culture of violence and money?  Perhaps you’ve already wondered about that. Perhaps you even accuse me of contradictions or, worse, of hypocrisy. I am bringing this up at this point to let you know I am aware of this issue. I plan to address it before long. In the meantime, feel free to write me about it and help me think it through. 

Returning to Kim, sometimes her column is the only one I read. My wife, Fran or Frances (she prefers the short version; I, the longer), often cuts out articles for me if she knows I’m interested and I don’t have the time.  Bolan’s articles never escape Fran’s scissors. So, they are piling up in a box along with others.  But today is their day. I’m going to treat you to some of Bolan’s brain waves by means of links to some of her articles. Note well:  some, not all. And note also that, unless indicated otherwise, the dates behind the titles are of the Vancouver Sun.

As you read, check on the commonalities of these stories. What do they have in common?  What marks their culture?  And what of their pleas in court?  What are they asking?

This is only the beginning. I won’t bore you with too many data all at once, but I do intend to bring you more of this stuff. This is serious and only regularly reading these items, story after story, will it sink into your brain, heart and emotions. Allow it do that to you over time, and I think you will find your indignation and anger growing as you go till finally you may demand radical changes in the way these hoodlums are treated by the justice system. At the end you may well come to ask who are the most responsible for creating this violence and chaos—the gangsters themselves or the nation’s justice system. So, you will be thrown a lot of ugly stories as well as pleas for mercy and questions. You’ve got work coming up! 


Kim Bolan, “Police monitor rise of more puppet clubs.”  Hells Angels allegedly pulling the strings of certain less-established bike gangs. July 23, 2018 (p. A3). https://www.google.ca/searchq=Kim+Bolan+police+monitor+rise+of+more+puppet+clubs&rlz=1C1AVNG_enCA658CA662&oq=Kim+Bolan++police+monitor+rise+of+more+puppet+clubs&aqs=chrome..69i57.25721j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Here you learn a lot about gang culture, including a hierarchy of clubs with Hells Angels at the very top. The ones lower down take the brunt of dangerous jobs. The motor cycling tours may seem like fun, but they are putting themselves AND their families at risk. There are serious consequences.  Police are monitoring them all carefully, making sure everyone is safe.  Why the police should be guarding these dumb wits against themselves is a big puzzle to me. Why should I pay taxes to protect those fools?    

Kim Bolan, “Real Scoop: Police concerned about rise of the HA puppets.”July 22, 2018. https://vancouversun.com/news/staff-blogs/real-scoop-police-concerned-about-rise-of-the-ha-puppets
An introduction to various gangs on the BC coast. 


Nick Eagland, “”’Wake Up Surrey’ pleads for help in tackling gang violence.” June 14, 2018 (p. A8).https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/surrey-residents-rise-against-violence-in-wake-of-shooting-deaths-of-two-teens?video_autoplay=true

Kim Bolan, “Firefighters’ biker club founder poses with Hells Angels.” Public safety minister calls the alleged association more than a bit disturbing. June 5, 2018 (p. A3). https://www.google.ca/searchq=kim+bolan+firefighters%27+biker+club+founder+posese+with+hells+angels&rlz=1C1AVNG_enCA658CA662&oq=kim+bolan+firefighters%27+biker+club+founder+posese+with+hells+angels&aqs=chrome..69i57.43481j0j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
The concern here is the penetration of gangsters into government agencies.

Kim Bolan, “Feds appeal immigration order freeing gunman.  Ministry objects to board decision to release gangster pending deportation.” April 26, 2018.  https://www.google.ca/searchq=kim+bolan+feds+appear+immigration+order+freeing+gunman&rlz=1C1AVNG_enCA658CA662&oq=kim+bolan+feds+appear+immigration+order+freeing+gunman&aqs=chrome..69i57.19521j0j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8


Kim Bolan,  “Guilty pleas expected in Bacon murder. Three men charged in 2011 gang shooting in front of Kelowna hotel reach plea bargain on lesser charges.” The Province,  April 22, 2018 (p. 4). https://www.google.ca/searchq=kim+bolan+guilty+please+expected+in+Bacon+case&rlz=1C1AVNG_enCA658CA662&oq=kim+bolan+guilty+please+expected+in+Bacon+case&aqs=chrome..69i57.24648j0j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8


No comments:

Post a Comment