Monday 10 November 2014

Post 20--Confession: Unfullfilled Promises





This blog series is my fourth. You want to know why I keep starting up new ones only to abandon them after a few months? I could not keep up with the promises I made. I had big plans and made many promises to my readers. I had every intention of keeping them, but every time it well apart.  I kept running short of time and the topics I promised to you, my readers, were just too many. So, I’d give up in despair and then would feel intensely disappointed with myself. A half year later, I would start up again—with the same intentions and the same result.


Well, this is post number 20 in this current effort and this time I will not allow another failure. I will make fewer promises. For example, I will not promise to write a specific number of blogs a week or a month, though I hope I will manage one a week—but, remember, that’s my hope within myself, not a promise to you. I will also no longer promise to write on this or that subject and then find it crowded out by more pressing current events in the community.

I actually found myself making such promises even in this blog. I started writing about faith and science, only to “temporarily” abandon it in favour of a more immediate topic.  Since then, other “immediate” topics have intervened and I suddenly realize I am back on the same treadmill.  I want to stop it right now! No more of this! No more such empty promises!

But hold it! No more promises is itself a promise!  How on earth do I get off this treadmill?  To be honest, I’m not sure about this. Some time ago, a Vancouver Sun columnist declared that there are no absolutes. I drew his attention to the internal fallacy of his statement, for that statement itself was absolute.  He admitted it was so and only threw up his hands like, “Now what do we do? How do I get out of this without retracting the statement?” That’s where he left it. Well, that’s where I leave it as well.  Just this promise, just one, no more!

Thanks for your patience in reading this confession. Tomorrow I will….  A’a, there we go. Another promise? 

No comments:

Post a Comment