Saturday 10 January 2015

Post 32--Of Courts and Lawyers (preliminary)




I must warn you at the outset today: This is an outrageous and annoying post. It hardly deals with the heading except at the very end with a hint. The outrage and the annoyance are somewhat overcome, I hope, by my slightly dubious sense of humour.

One of my favourite quotes is penned by myself. I know, that sounds pretty bad and ego-centric. But please hear me out even if it is so. In addition to egocentric, it is also outrageous, but it’s still my favourite, because, in spite of its negatives, it is right. It is not the quote that is outrageous. Rather, it is the situation which generated the quote that is outrageous. 

Before I spill the beans, I must admit that I penned it in response to American situations when I lived there off and on for a total of some fifteen years. But that only proves that I am a genuine Canadian. You don’t know how many American lecturers I’ve endured who were invited to address a Canadian audience and then flood them with American statistics and research, making the facile comment that Canadian situations are assumed to be similar. And their Canadian hosts, being the polite creatures that we are, pay them generous honoraria for their sloppy work, letting them get away with it without a single comment.  I often feel like screaming at them and the Canadian organizers of the event. Ach, our minds are so colonized by our assertive southern cousins. 

It gets worse. When Canadians want to make any grandiose social statement about Canada, they also tend to base it on US data and statistics and then follow it up with the same broad generalization that Canadian data are fairly similar.  This Canadian characteristic annoys me to no end. I always feel like telling such “researchers” that if they can’t do genuine homework, i.e., do serious research on home soil, to pack up and leave. 

Another American practice, this time in sales. How often have you clicked on an online add as on Facebook and ended up listening to an endless harangue that repeatedly brings you to the brink, to the major point, namely price, only to back away from it with further info, endlessly playing with your patience and intellect? I have endured such painful sales pitches quite a number of times to the point where I click off with disgust. The sales trick did not work. I lost valuable time and “they” lost a potential customer never to return. Those Americans!   GRRRR!  They are so annoying. 

But, you know something? We Canadians are even worse in that we politely accept such insulting treatment when it is directed our way.  And we even copy them.  Are we crazy or something? 
Well, folks, this Canadian is giving you that kind of treatment today. You are going to be subjected to a quote that slowly forced itself on me while in America and that, I assume, also holds for Canada. And you are right now being subjected to that kind of delaying tactic. Here this post has about come to its end and you have still not been given this quote of mine.  

Okay, before you run away or, worse, pay the usually outrageous sum demanded, here it is!  

The biggest obstacle to good health is the medical establishment. The biggest obstacle to good religion is the religious establishment. The biggest obstacle to a healthy economy are the banks and the economists of “on the one hand” and “on the other.”  (For this “hand” stuff, I am indebted to my oldest son, who did undergraduate economics and ended up with a Yale MBA.) And the biggest obstacle to justice is….

Alright, like those GRRR Americans, I’ve brought you to the brink and am going to leave you hanging there till the next time. In the meantime, try to complete that quotation yourself. Hint: Go back to the title of this post. If you’re inclined to write me, whether to scream at me for my American behaviour or to complete the quote, you’re welcome at  < boerjf@hotmail.com >.  Otherwise, see you in a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment