Monday 19 January 2015

Post 33--Of Courts and Lawyers--Why This Interest




I wonder whether you were able to fill in the blank near the end of the last post?  The complete sentence reads, “And the biggest obstacle to justice is the legal establishment.”   

We’re going to unpack that statement bit by bit as time goes on. Don’t expect an unbroken sequential series on the topic, for you will probably get bored, unless you have an intense interest in the topic. Not only that, but I have learned from experience that promising or planning a long series on one single topic gets in the way of current events that cry out for attention.  So, bit by bit; drip by drip, in between other topics.  

To explain my interest in this topic, let me reproduce a couple of paragraphs on the subject from our—i.e., my wife’s and mine—memoirs. You should know that we spent 30 years as missionaries in Nigeria and moved to Vancouver BC in 2001 to “retire.”  I  intended to make our retirement years there count in terms of both writing and social action that would have noticeable effect on the society. Yes, even at that age, I still entertained large vision with respect to improving the society. Even now, fourteen years later, I have not surrendered it. A nation or individual without vision, says the Bible, will perish, even seniors—though we will perish anyhow as far as this side of the “Beyond” goes. So, here goes:

One of the things I decided to explore was the whole area of Christian involvement in the legal profession. This was not something that just happened to occur to me. I had long thought about some kind of crusade addressing Christians in the legal professions, particularly lawyers. As I observed evolving North American culture from my Nigerian perch, I noted that the legal profession was contributing strongly to distortions in society and, in fact, had created an atmosphere of fear and suspicion. I also observed that with their exorbitant fees and methods, lawyers had taken justice beyond the reach of the common people. In addition, I noticed that they were not interested in justice per se, but, rather, in winning their cases regardless of the truth and in making as much money as possible. I was aware of national Christian associations of lawyers, but few if any of them did anything to transform or redeem the profession. At best, they champion causes with religious colouration without transforming the profession itself.

So I invited church members to a series of meetings to begin exploring the issue and a number of them attended. I soon realized that I needed to become more sensitive to the culture of both the nation and CRC. I was a cultural stranger and could not find a way to move the project forward. In addition, I became aware that I could not do both: Develop this lawyer programme and write that series on Christian-Muslim relations; it would be one or the other. I also concluded that I had started off with the wrong crowd. I should have been more patient to find a more suitable target group to work with, more ecumenical and with more passion for this specific issue. So, I wound up the series of meetings and abandoned the effort for now.  However, I have been saving newspaper and other clippings that deal with lawyers and justice in the hope that perhaps I can do some writing on the topic after we have completed these memoirs.  Many are the times I get enraged and my blood pressure rises when I read stories from that cultural segment, especially at the uncritical Christian participation in what I consider the totally unjust “justice” systems of North America.

As I wrote in the previous post, nothing like quoting yourself!

That quote, in fact, the entire memoir is accessible to you free of charge as an ebook from   < www.lulu.com  >.  Just type in “Every Square Inch” and it should surface. The memoir at this point consists of five volumes; The quote is taken from volume four, pp. 77-78. which goes by the title Every Square Inch—A Missionary Memoir: The Life and Mission of Jan & Frances Boer. Vol. 4:  Our Post-Nigeria Life.

Rather than start the discussion near the end of this post, we’ll do that next time. See, there’s that annoying American GRRR stuff again! Keeping you hanging….  In the meantime, spend some time on those quoted paragraphs and observe your reactions to them.  No doubt, if you’re involved in the “justice” system as a professional, it may annoy you. If you’re involved in other areas, especially if you’ve had occasion to become a “consumer” of legal services or, God forbid, if you’ve ever faced a judge in court, and remember the bills you received as well as….  Ach, don’t let me go on. Just let me say your reaction will be quite different. 

Don’t let these bad memories give you nightmares. May God give you His Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment