Monday 22 June 2015

Post 53--A Travelogue of Sorts





Welcome to “Summer 15” for all of us northerners. As to you southerners, may you enjoy your skating and skiing this July.

Once again, I fell into a trap that has often beclouded the blogs I have operated over the years. If you were with me then, you will know what I am referring to.  A long silence due to lengthy travel, something I had intended to avoid—the silence, not the travel! Even when away, I had decided, I would write a few posts. Nothing came of it. Sorry.

In the meantime, my wife and I had a wonderful time in Grand Rapids (GR), MI, where she grew up and where I did my college and seminary. It is also the location of the mission board of the Christian Reformed Church (CRC) under which I served for 30 years in Nigeria. I spent some fifteen years in that city off and on.  Many of my in-laws live there as well as numerous friends. So, we had a great time, but in the meantime, I left you in the lurch.  Remember this business of promises not kept many posts ago? Well, this is another instance, private/personal intentions not kept even. When will I learn my own lessons?

I actually had another topic picked out for this post, but it will have to await Post 53. The above was meant to be kind of an aside before I got to the real subject, but it occurred to me that I would be doing you a favour by introducing that GRcommunity to you. It is a mid-size mid-western city with a population of some 180,000 in the city proper and about one million in its metro area.  You may not be aware of this city simply because of its average size, but, according to Wikipedia, in 2014, GR was named the No. 1 U.S. travel destination by Lonely Planet. Now that should tell you something—it’s not just your average city.

But it has had its ups and downs, almost simultaneously, it seems.  A January 21, 2011 Newsweek article listed Grand Rapids as a "dying city."  But in 2010 the city was named the "most sustainable midsize city in the U.S." by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. Go figure!

It is known for several distinctives and includes an impressive array of “firsts” in the area of culture and the arts. The longest-standing major reputation is that of “Furniture City.” It remains a major furniture city, but it is rapidly becoming known better as the country’s “Beer City,” something that is likely to surprise people familiar with its history and traditions. 

Not many people realize that the place is probably best known internationally as a center of Christian publishing. It is home to Zondervan, Baker Books, Eerdmans, and a number of smaller publishers, including Kregel and Our Daily Bread Ministries, as well as Family Christian Stores, a Christian bookstore chain. The three majors supply the entire world with very substantial Christian literature.  They have a major impact and influence throughout the world, especially Eerdmans with its scholarly emphasis that by far overshadows the furniture and beer components in influence if not in economics. Of course, in our secular world, those who describe cities tend to either ignore or downplay such religious contributions—which is the major reason I have deviated from the original intent of this post. I want you to be aware of that unusual and substantial contribution GR makes to the world.

Of course, GR is also home to the usual run of Christian denominations, but it differs from many northern cities in the number of church congregations. It has more Catholics than any other brand of Christians, but its distinctive is the presence of numerous Dutch Calvinist denominations. The original is the Reformed Church of America, the oldest Protestant denomination in the country. In GR it is overshadowed by the break-away (over 150 years ago) CRC of which I am a member. It is that church that has provided me with the worldview, theology and philosophy underlying this blog.

The CRC is a mixed bag as far as its membership goes. It comprises a wide range of folk ranging from fundamentalists to classic conservatives and progressive social activists with the latter two deeply influenced by my role model, Abraham Kuyper.  I am embarrassed by the presence of the first two and consider myself among the third. The reason I belong to this denomination is partially the “accident” of birth, but I might have absconded if it were not for the underlying “worldview, theology and philosophy” of the previous paragraph. That’s where this church is unique, potentially powerful and that’s where I am at home. That’s what you’re getting from me in this blog and that’s what keeping me in the denomination. Probably no denomination in North America, apart from the Catholic Church, has produced as many prominent philosophers as has the CRC, certainly not per capita. And if you think that is not very important, you should realize that it is the leading philosophers who this century create the common sense of the next.  These are consciously Christian philosophers. I am grateful for and proud of them.

So, now you know more about GR, but, more important, more about where I get my bearings that you read about in this blog. Calvin College and Calvin Theological Seminary are the GR tertiaries I attended and both belong to the CRC and are located in GR.  You can find out all about them from the internet. No need to repeat what’s already accessible to you.  And if you’ve become curious about the city itself, there’s a good Wikipedia article on it.

As to other parts of my life, I refer you to my website <  www.SocialTheology.com  >.

No comments:

Post a Comment