Thursday 25 June 2015

Post 54--Mixing the Spiritual with the Mundane





Here I am again, only a day or two after the last post. I am trying hard to appease you for the long delay you have just suffered. No, no promise it will not happen again, but I will try my darnest. I am foreseeing a couple of trips in my intermediate future: to Atlanta (GA) and Mountain View (CA). We’ll see what comes out of those trips. As I say….

One of the characteristics of this my blog is that I often go back and forth between so-called “religious” and “worldly” or “secular” topics.  I don’t keep a straight line of separation between the two; I don’t compartmentalize them. I discuss all sorts of topics in random order—abortion, Aboriginals, transparency, taxes, politicians and in between appear all kinds of religious and philosophical issues.  Why is this? Is my sense of logic impaired?  Am I propriety challenged?

Actually, I “mix up” all these issues quite on purpose and by design. Some years ago I published a book of daily meditations with the title The Prophet Moses for Today.[1] There, too, I mixed up all these topics and defended this practice in Meditation 339 under the title “No Compartmentalized Christianity.”  Topics just previous to this one include “A Banker’s Responsibility” (332), seducing virgins (333), forced marriage (334), sorcery (336-337) and bestiality (338).  Topics right after Meditation 339 include murder (340), politics (341) and aliens (342).  What a strange hodge-podge!

The reason for this sequence was actually quite simple: I was following the sequence of these subjects as found in the Bible--in the Ten Commandments, to be more precise.  But, you may ask, why does the Bible write in this “hodge-podgy” way?  Does this not confirm the negative misgivings so many people have about it?  Why did its writers not organize topics more logically and systematically?

Meditation 339 puts it this way:

There you have it again. Mixing religion with “secular” affairs. We have just meditated on sorcery and bestiality, while the next few verses deal with aliens and widows. So, why have just one religious verse mixed in with all this “secular” stuff?  Especially moving from bestiality to religion is to move from the ridiculous to the sublime. Why can’t the Bible keep these things apart a little more neatly?

Sorry about that. …the Bible does not compartmentalize religion from so-called “secular” life. It is against the Christian religion to do so. Christians who so compartmentalize have given in to secularism, which is simply another system of belief or religion.  They live by two religions, the Christian and the secular.  These are two opposing religions or perspectives. People who adhere to both are weak both in the spiritual life as well as their life in the world. Christians will often compensate for their weakness and contradiction by screaming and yelling in their religious gatherings. Screaming supposedly covers up the powerlessness in their lives and gives them a fake sense of spiritual power. 

So, our text for today (Exodus 22:20) is a witness to and embodiment of the centrality of religion in human life—in everyone’s life.  Your entire life is influenced and, indeed, directed, by the force, ideal or idol or God to which you sacrifice or dedicate your life. I urge that this be the Jehovah God of the Bible, the One the churches around you preach about regularly.

=========
A  random word of wisdom:  “When you don’t talk about something, then something will talk about itself for you.” (from Alexander Smith:  The Handsome Man’s de Luxe CafĂ©.)




[1]Jos, Nigeria: Institute of Church & Society, 1995. You can access it free of charge on my website 

No comments:

Post a Comment