Tuesday 5 July 2016

Post 116 Extreme Hospitality

Nigerian Hospitality
If there is anything I have learned during my 30 years in Nigeria it is hospitality.  Nigerians have been so generous to us when it comes to hospitality, as they are to their own people. One can drop in on Nigerian friends and you are immediately invited to join them in a meal if that happens to be their agenda at the moment. This is true not only of the well-to-do, but just as much of the poorer among them. Now, there is a downside to that. Extending such hospitality to an unexpected guest can be at the expense of family members who may have to do with leftovers, especially children.
Any Nigerian who reads the above paragraph may object to it. Nigeria is a square box containing 400 different nations, cultures and languages. There is no way you can say anything about traditional culture that will hold for all of these cultures. Expatriates who have lived in other parts of the country sometimes marvel at our stories from the country’s Middle Belt. They have not always experienced such hospitality.  But for us, we have always been deeply impressed by that cultural feature.
And, of course, after being exposed to that for 30 years and having benefited from it so many times, it could not help but rub off on  us. My wife and I have also become very hospitable, so much so that the people among whom we now live in Vancouver, Canada, are amazed at how open our door is and how readily we have people we did not expect join us at our table. Thank you, Nigeria, for teaching us such a Christian virtue. 
Western Hospitality
Yes, hospitality is a Christian virtue, though not only Christian. Plenty of other people share that virtue.  But Nigerians tend to laugh at us in a kind of derisive way. They joke that, according to their experiences in the Western world, we are so inhospitable that if we want to visit our grandmother, we have to make an appointment at least two weeks in advance! I had become somewhat estranged to Western ways and denied that “accusation.” 
However, upon our return to the West, more specifically, to Vancouver, I found they were not that far off. Since I immigrated from my birth country, The Netherlands, at age thirteen, I have had little experience with my own grandmothers during my adult years. None whatsoever in Vancouver. However, I was surprised at how inhospitable Vancouver really is. Vancouverites will entertain you, but very seldom in their house. It’s just about always in a café or restaurant by which we are totally immersed here in downtown. It’s even true of the near-by church we attend, though, I am happy to report, not of my other church, the Christian Reformed Church.
And not only Vancouver.  When my wife and I were RV-ing through the American South and attended a city church, they welcomed the guests among them and assured us that they were very hospitable. If we needed a good restaurant for dinner after the service, all we would have to do is ask and they would point us to the good ones in town!  Hospitable?  Yea, right!  In contrast, when we attended a rather conservative Reformed type of church in BC’s “Bible Belt,” we ended up at the dinner table of a large family of seven children. We had never had any contact before. 
Dutch Hospitality--Stories
Why do I write of hospitality in this post? Because of the “extreme” hospitality we experienced in Lutjegast, my birth village in The Netherlands (NL) with a population of around 1,000.  It’s a follow-up to the previous post that I feel compelled to write; it was that surprising and extreme—but not everything extreme is negative. My parents lived in Lutjegast from 1929-1951. My father ran a barbershop, while my mother ran a growing family and, for a few years, a hair salon for ladies. I was thirteen when we emigrated to Canada in 1951.  By 2016 pretty well all memories of our Boer barber family had been erased in the village except among the elderly. 
Two days we wandered around in Lutjegast, partially by car, partially on foot. We came to the church where I was baptized as a baby and met someone living near it. We introduced ourselves, but he had never heard about us. Nevertheless, he invited us into his house for a coffee. There we sat in the dining room, surrounded by the entire family, drinking coffee and chatting about past when we lived there. That was the first one. An hour or so later, as we were looking for a niece who, I had reasons to believe, lived in the town. In the course of the search, we knocked on someone’s door. A lady opened the door and, after our brief introduction, again invited us inside for a tea with her and her husband. They had vaguely heard of some Boer family, but that was all. 
Our second day in the village, a Saturday, we were supposed to meet a cousin of mine who lived elsewhere. We would meet at the church in the centre of Lutjegast. We arrived early to find a spot where we could visit, but did not find anything. The only thing open was a hair salon. We entered to ask them about a place in the village where we could have a coffee. The lady told us that the village really does not have a suitable place for that, but she immediately invited us to visit with our guests around the table in her shop and she would serve us coffee!  We did not accept the invitation since it was not really a suitable environment for the kind of visit we envisioned. But it was another amazing hospitality event.
Soon my cousin and husband drove into the church yard. The custodian met us and after the by now customary introduction, he not only showed us the inside of the renovated church but also invited us for a coffee and cooky in the church hall, where we could sit as long as we wanted. 
Personally, I think that pattern of hospitality to strangers is remarkable. My appreciation for my birth village soared. I am in the process of writing a more detailed report of this hospitality in the Dutch language to be published in the local village paper to express our appreciation not only, but also to make sure they enjoy a positive self-image. They are not just some village duds as some city slickers may think; they display the image of God in their hospitality. 
But we ran into this trait throughout our trip.  We had three main hosts in three different parts of the country and all went far beyond the normal standards of hospitality. Two of these were friends from different phases of our history, but they were absolutely superb. One of them housed us for ten days and nights. The most unexpected was the owner of Hotel Friesland. He took a liking to us and several times invited us privately for a tea and cooky.  A hotel owner! 
Concluding Comments

All in all, I am still a bit dizzy about all this hospitality. Can’t get over it. That’s why I write about it in such glowing terms.  Thank you, my Dutch friends, both old and new. And to my Nigerian friends I can only caution them that whatever unpleasant experiences they may have had in the West, their description of hospitality certainly does not resonate with my Dutch experience. I should probably close with a preemptive admission that race may at least partially account for the difference.    

No comments:

Post a Comment