Wednesday 2 March 2016

Post 96—Farewell to Shelley Fralic



In contrast to Post 95, this is a shorty. Possibly the shortest of all so far.  It is a farewell letter to Shelley Fralic, a columnist with the Vancouver Sun, who has retired. 

My Dear Shelley

These days we don't often start letters with "Dear....," especially not a married man to a woman married to someone else. But today, for this one very special occasion, I cannot resist it.  

I was shocked when I first learned of your retirement. Will there still be life after Shelley Fralic in my hands in the morning along with my cup of tea--cup of coffee in the case of my wife.  Well, yes, there will be, but it will not be an improved life.  

Your final column is so beautifully written, so full of love for the Sun and its readers, so emotional. So aware also of the responsibility of a journalist not only but also of her influence and power. I have often said that the Sun is a more effective opposition than any official opposition party, partially because she is not paid to oppose. It opposes when it has to, when it is just the right thing to do.  And you have been an active player in that role. 

So, Shelley, thank you and good bye.  I pray for rich, rewarding and grandchildren-filled years ahead for you.  I have been in that phase of life for some fifteen years now and believe me, it is indeed the best part of your life in spite of its inevitable dead end. I will archive your last column, if only to keep me attuned to the responsibility of a writer, of which I am one.

I think I will make this letter public by putting it on my blog under the title, "Farewell to Shelley Fralic."


Jan/John H. Boer

West End, Vancouver


No comments:

Post a Comment